|November 2012. Bought this as a basket case from a mate who remembered he had 4 kids and a wife to take care of :)
It came to me mostly disassembled and I'll be turning it into a mild cafe look.
The bits and bobs when I bought it home
Lots of washing, sanding and finally painting.
I'll polish the engine covers after it goes back in the frame.
Lots more sanding of the frame then primer and then the easy bit, painting it.
|Moving onto the wheels now, front wheel tomorrow, not decided what colour yet for the rims. The sprocket holder bearing will be replaced with a new one although this one is perfectly fine also. I have also readied the engine mount plates, battery box and other assorted frame fittings, they are hanging up on the copper hot water pipe under the house waiting to return to their rightful place on the bike. I'll be sending the cycle threads away tomorrow for zinc plating, so it will be a week or so before i can assemble much, all the new paint should be well hard by then. Till next update then.|
Disc taped, primed and painted, wheels done at the painter in two pac
grey and now with new bearings and tyres.
Front guard cleaned and deadener under, fork lowers cleaned and polished,
harness complete fully serviced with all terminals cleaned and new outer tape.
Speedo drive before and after service, clean, polish.
New zinc on threads return. New rear shocks fitted.
The painter got busy with my stuff.
Assembly finally begins, pretty nice if I do say so myself.
Feb 6. Just a few random pics of progress, clipon mount hardware
looks a bit chunky, may look for something else.
Seat foam as it was and after I trimmed it so seat position was a little lower.
Feb 24. You either like it or you don't, there is no middle road here.
Feb 24. Random pic of the motor with carbs fitted,
first start up coming soon.
Feb 26. Pictures above and below of the bike basically finished.
March. The starter clutch saga.
|Well not really, starter clutch issues are pretty common on these old Kawasaki's. So, found it was slipping and went ahead and bought a new kit, fitted it up but to my dismay it still slipped, more through investigation was needed. Discovered that there was wear in the actual assembly so a COMPLETE new assembly was sourced and purchased. Note the old assembly has the cover plate fitted incorrectly, possibly moved there to prevent the mounts bolts, if they ever come adrift, from dropping into the works so to speak, I prefer loctite :). Anyway I could not move the plate to clear the bolt heads so I had to butcher the plate to access them. Fitted up the new assembly and bingo, perfect turning again, like new, cause it is :) You may also note the carb diapharms in the pictures, these too are brand new sourced from a seller in Germany. They are also now fitted and final tuning and test riding has begun.|
|I may have forgotten a couple of things done.
Motor HAS NOT been stripped, it was in good running order before restoration began. I did remove the top cover to inspect cams etc and all was in order as expected by its good running condition. New oil and a new filter were fitted.
Externally the motor was cleand, primed and painted in VHT heat proof, also I did lots of alloy polishing as you can see in the pictures.
Bike was otherwise stripped to the ground, frame and all other black parts were sanded smooth the primed and top coated with Wurth gloss paint.
Both wheels were stripped of bearings etc and painter by Buddahs at Slacks Creek, I then fitted new bearings fitted to both along with new tyres.
All other grey paint was also done at Buddahs, the decal designs were my thoughts and have been clear coated over.
Front forks were stripped, lowers polished by me, new oil and fork seals fitted. The triple tree also have new bearings.
Front mastercylinder is new, the line is also new, Braided from Hel in Brisbane.
The rear shock absorbers are new from Tecshock
The chain guard and rear brake pedal are powder coated.
New clutch speedo and tacho cable, new chain
All threads were newly zinc coated by Wally Williams in Toowoomba.
Carbs were fully stripped and cleaned internally and extrenally, brand new diapharms were fitted.
I fitted a complete brand new starter clutch assemble, not just a kit.
The wiring harness was basically rebuilt with lots of new correct plug ends and correct outer tape.
I trimmed the original seat foam down somewhat and had it recovered.
A new Oring drive chain is fitted, the sprockets are in good conditin and were not renewed. New rear brake linings are fitted.
New brown hand grips fitted. I bought these from a seller in Italy.